This policy covers risks ranging from Third Party Risks to comprehensive risks. It provides cover: For loss or damage to the motor vehicle as a result of fire, accident or theft. Against legal liabilities to third parties arising from loss or damage to property as well as third party injuries or death The policies can be extended to cover:

  • Damage caused by riot and strikes.
  • Special perils i.e. damage caused by storm, or flood.
  • Loss of or damage occurring when the vehicle is in the hands of motor dealer.
  • Windscreen. The value of windscreen should be properly ascertained particularly the rear windscreen.
  • Radio/radio cassette. Some of the vehicles are fitted with very expensive radios/cassettes. The breakage of windscreen and theft of radio/radio cassette are payable without application of excess

Covers are available for the following categories of vehicles

  • Private Cars

    These will include Saloons, Station wagons, Estates, and the large Four Wheel Drives (4X4). The key aspect of these vehicles is that they must be used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes only.

  • Commercial vehicles -

    These will range from small half ton pickups to the large monster trucks on the roads. They will also include: Vans and company/school buses.

  • Motor Cycles -

    Used for the insured business only

  • Other vehicles -

    These will include agricultural type vehicles of tractors, combine harvesters, construction vehicles of graders and shovels, to emergency response vehicles of ambulances, fire tenders etc.

Scope of cover;

For each category of vehicle, three types of covers can be purchased;

  • Third Party Only (TPO) -

    This is the basic and minimum cover available. It provides for liability to third parties only in respect of bodily injury and damage to third party property. It is the mandatory cover that a motorist should have.

  • Third Party Fire and Theft (TPF&T) –

    In addition to the TPO cover above, this cover extends cover the insured’s vehicle against the risks of fire and theft, including partial theft.

  • Comprehensive -

    This is a superior cover to all the others as in addition to TPF&T, it extends to cover any other accidental damage to the vehicles including collision, overturning, effects of floods, Earthquakes etc.

What extra do you need to know on Motor Insurance??


Excess is the uninsured portion of the loss that you have to bear in an insurance claim. Excess is a percentage of the sum insured and is paid to the insurer for any repair in case of accidental damages. In case where the vehicle is stolen or a write off / total loss, the excess shall be paid before the final claim payment to you. However, the policy may specify to a minimum of excess amount which is insurable. Note: Excess can be insured so that in the event of the loss you don’t have to pay anything. In many insurances you have to part with 0.25% 0n motor private and 0.5% on commercial vehicles.

Political violence and terrorism

Most Kenyans are not aware that Political violence and terrorism is not covered on all general insurance policies, it is an extensions that can either be added to most of the common general insurance policies or taken as a standalone. It is therefore advisable to take this option to protect your asset from any politically instigated damage. A common occurrence of these is strikes, protests and riots, which arise out of political dissatisfactions and lead to destruction of public properties. For terrorism, cases like the Westgate where properties and vehicles were destroyed. The cost of this cover is normally charged at 0.25% of the value of the insured vehicle.

Personal accident

Car insurance does not cover liabilities to owner and his/ her family members, therefore in the event of a car accident, any medical expenses or liabilities by owner or members of the family travelling in the accident vehicle are not covered. It is therefore crucial to consider a personal accident cover for the owner and his family. Personal accident covers are among the lowly charged insurance covers so they are affordable.

Courtesy Car

In the event of a car accident or theft, car owners may suffer the biggest inconvenience without an alternative car to use while the accident vehicle is in the garaged. Most insurance companies therefore provide an option of a replacement courtesy car for a maximum of 10 days while the insured motor vehicle is out of use. They can provide an actual car or offer re-imbursement of Ksh 3,000 for each day that the insured vehicle is out of use up to a total maximum of Ksh 30,000 Note: There is a waiting period of the first 3 days, meaning the insured will not be paid for the first 3 days.

AA cover

AA cover comes in, in the event of an accident or a car breakdown. They assist in professional vehicle towing or small repairs done to kick-start your car courtesy of your AA membership which you join with only a sum of Ksh 3,500 per annum.

Motor Claim Process

Remember we walk with you during the claim process.

  • Do Not Accept liability in case of an accident
  • Report the accident to Ryma Insurance immediately
  • Report the accident or theft to the Police immediately but not later than 24 hours and obtain a police abstract
  • After clearing with the police take the vehicle to any of your Insurer Recommended garage within Nairobi (outside Nairobi take the vehicle to a garage of your choice) and notify us.
  • Completing a claim form and Attach the Police Abstract and a Copy of the Driving license of the person who was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident or loss.

Required Documents

  • Completed Claim Form
  • Original police abstract
  • Copy of the diving license for the person driving the vehicle during the accident
  • Policy excess
  • Assessor’s report